Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Connectors of addition







In English, there are words that link positive or negative phrases or ideas with the meaning ‘this is also true‘. In the case of positive statements, they are:  and‘ ‘also‘, ‘as well‘, ‘too‘, ‘so‘, ‘in addition‘, ‘furthermore‘,  ‘besides‘,  ‘moreover‘, ‘what is more‘, ‘not only.... but also...‘, etc.   . Although, these words have the same meaning, they are used in different positions in a sentence.

Also, as well, too

These three words mean ‘in addition’. We use them in positive sentences:

  • I like basketball and I also like football.
  • I like basketball and I like football too.
  • I like basketball and I like football as well.

The main difference is their position in a sentence.

Also

‘Also’ is commonly used in writing, but is less common in speaking. It occupies different positions in a sentence.

Also’ is usually used:

— before the main verb (often between an auxiliary and a main verb)

  • Jill walks to school, and Sara also walks to school.
  • I love chocolate. I also love pizza.
  • I can also speak French.
  • I have also been there.

— after the verb ‘to be

  • I am also Canadian.
  • I was also there.

We can use ‘also’ in front position to emphasize what follows or to add a new point or topic:

  • It’s very humid. Also, you can easily get sunburnt.

Too

Too’ has the same meaning as ‘also adding an agreeing thought. It’s usually used at the end of the sentence:

  • I love chocolate. I love pizza too.
  • Frank can come with us. Nancy can come with us too.

‘Too’ can occur immediately after the subject, if it refers directly to the subject:

  • We, too, have been very pleased to be there.

‘Too’ is especially common in responses to fixed expressions (such as wishes), and in responses consisting of a single object pronoun:

  • Enjoy your time! – Yeah, thanks! Enjoy your evening too.
  • I hate mushrooms. – Yeah, me too.

As well

‘As well’ is very similar to ‘too‘ in terms of meaning and position in a sentence. It is used much more common in speaking than in writing, and is more common in speaking than ‘also’.

‘As well’ is used at the end of the sentence:

  • I’ll have steak please. And I’ll have vegetables as well.
  • My mother can’t drive a car. – My mother can’t drive as well.

Too’ and ‘as well’ are common in spoken and informal British English. (‘As well’ sounds formal or old-fashioned in American English.)

Here’s a picture to summarize this information:

also, as well, too







No comments:

Post a Comment